Julia's Reviews > Betrayal: The Life and Lies of Bernie Madoff

Betrayal by Andrew Kirtzman

Aug 20, 2012

Recommended to Julia by: My father
Read from July 15 to August 27, 2012 — I own a copy

When the economy began to fall into disrepair in 2008, I was shocked to hear of Bernie Madoff's ponzi scheme. The depth of his depravity was like watching a car crash. I read every piece in the New Yorker, Economist, and every piece in the Vanity Fair series written about him, his family, his employees, and investors. Over the course of the last 3 years, I watched several documentaries about him.

So, when I found this book at Borders during its liquidation phase, I immediately grabbed it and put it with my books to buy. I didn't read it for almost a year, and I lent it to my father when he requested a book to read. He loved it instantly and started reading passages out loud to me. He read it in record time and returned it with an exhortation to me: You MUST read this book NOW. I began reading it that evening. I was thoroughly pleased with Andrew Kirtzman's book from page 1. The depth of his research is astounding, and it truly is a blow by blow of Madoff's life and schemes beginning with his childhood, which provides some level of understanding to his motivations for his criminal enterprise.

I began my career in fundraising, and I spent a portion of it working with major donors. The largest donations and endowments to this university were made by Jewish individuals and families. Our donors wintered in Palm Beach, commuted to New York City, and spent summers in many of Madoff's other overseas destinations. Because of Madoff's strategy of recruiting Jewish individuals and families, I cannot help but wonder how many of the major donors I worked with lost a portion of their wealth to Madoff.

I highly recommend this book to individuals who love biographies, financial biographies, corporate finances, investing strategies, and/or true crime.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betrayal.