Emma 's Reviews > Withering Tights

Withering Tights by Louise Rennison

Aug 20, 2012

bookshelves: guest-reviews

REVIEW BY VIV - SERENDIPITY REVIEWS

This is the first book I ‘ve read by Louise Rennison but I can assure you it won’t be my last. If I had realised just how witty her writing was I would have devoured all her books in a week! Seriously, some of the lines the author comes out with had me snorting my tea.

This is told in first person, through the eyes of Tallulah, whose cousin just happens to be Georgia Nicholson, who can blow on her nails and shine them on her T shirt as she is already established as a starlet in the book world. However, Tallulah, is quickly following her into stardom and may just outshine her in her bid to be famous.

The characters are larger than life and reminiscent of St Trinian’s only set in the acting world. The best way to describe most of them would be to say they were nuts and more some!

Tallulah really stands out, she almost sparkles on the page, as she tries desperately to discover her hidden talents. As a reader, you will have already guessed she is a comedian at heart but it takes Tallulah a little longer to discover this. She really knows how to make herself look stupid, especially in front of the boys she is trying to impress. One of my favourite characters was Ruby; she was so much older than her age and often the voice of reason.

This book is loosely based on Wuthering Heights. Tallulah has to perform in the school play as Heathcliff which she bases on a certain bad boy with hilarity and originality. The Bronte’s are mentioned on various occasions, as well as the Kate Bush song that catapulted the book into modern interpretation.

I have read Wuthering Heights and I have to say I really enjoyed this better. Wuthering Heights had me hitting myself over the head with a mallet as it was the most depressing book I had ever read, whereas this just entertained me all the way through.

My only little complaint is certain things that Tallulah said, felt a bit out of character and not appropriate for her voice. She kept talking about her ‘corkers’ which although was really funny, I couldn’t ever see a teenager using this word to describe her female assets.

An excellent read, funny through and quickly devoured.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Withering Tights.