Kathy's Reviews > Lengths

Lengths by Steph Campbell

Aug 19, 2012

Read from August 19 to 22, 2012

I had heard so many good things about this book.....and they were all true! I loved everything about it. I place this as more of a new adult than a young adult novel due to the sexual content and language. Steph Campbell and Liz Reinhardt have come together to bring us a story that is gripping, and one that keeps you invested in the lives of all the characters, especially the blossoming romance of Deo and Whit. If ever there were two opposites that attract....it's Deo and Whit.

Deo is a surfer boy who has floated through life with no ambition and is headed nowhere; he views himself as the ultimate loser. He has an estranged relationship with his father and is somewhat bitter as a result. He has no intention of finding a job or getting tied down in a relationship with anyone. Deo has a laid back, confident and cocky attitude with just enough bad boy vibe that I couldn't help but fall in love with him. He just has so much magnetism! I fell in love with him on page 1. Deo only has his mother, Marigold, and his grandpa, with whom he lives. I loved everything about Deo...his cocky dialogue, his killer looks, and his sincerity. What he willingly sacrifices and all he does to help Whit makes me love him...and hurt for him...even more! His patience with Whit and her plight was so endearing, I wanted to snatch him up myself and confess all my secrets....well, if I had any that is.

Whit is a little more complicated. "She is all kinds of contradictions." She has moved away from all family and friends in Amish country to pursue her independence and education....without any attachments or complications. She has goals of a future and works hard to attain them, but she carries a deep secret and refuses to let anyone know of her heartache and past....especially Deo. At first, I just couldn't like Whit...I tried, but it just wasn't feeling her. I wanted to just scream at her to open up already and grab Deo for the spectacular man he is! But the co-authors gave me a slow reveal into Whit's secret past and guilt, to the point I suddenly found myself full of compassion....and tearful eyes...for this woman. Whit finds it hard to resist Deo and his charms. She eventually wins me over in a big way with an understanding and sympathy for her inner torment.

I have to mention Marigold and Grandpa. Who wouldn't love Marigold and Grandpa? Marigold is one flippy hippy with a heart full of love for Deo. Her descriptions of sex/sexual acts cracked me up. But, don't let the hippy facade fool you. She is one wise woman who calls 'em like she sees 'em and, by far, is my favorite character in the book. Grandpa...with his 72" LED TV strictly for UFC fights, beer, and pistachios... is just plain funny. He is no holds barred. He and Deo share a special type of relationship that is full of honesty, love...with a funny back and forth banter.

The emotions I had while reading this book were so crazed and going in every direction. I hurt, I cried, I angered, I tensed, I laughed. I won't say it was a roller coaster of emotions, because it was so much more. I started to wonder if I needed to make an appointment with my doctor to diagnose me as manic bipolar! My emotions were that off the chart! This is a very easy and fast read that will leave you panting for more Deo. This story brings issues of selfishness, guilt, trust, love, and sacrifice to the forefront. I give it 4 stars and recommend to all adult lovers of a good and relaxing romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lengths.