Alicia (Lav)'s Reviews > Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone

Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone by Kat Rosenfield

Aug 19, 2012

Read from August 19 to 24, 2012

Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone is hard to compare to anything I've read before. It was full of colorful and wordy descriptions and managed to keep me in suspense for the majority of the book without being over-dramatic. It's a story about a girl who died, but it's also a story about another girl who has to choose what kind of life she's going to have. It's a story about love, but it's also a story about the ethereal nature of relationships.

What I Liked
The descriptions in this book were lovely. I'm the kind of person who prefers dialogue/inner monologue/action to heavy descriptions, but I was still captivated by the way the words came together to make a beautiful image. I know a lot of people aren't fans of excessive adjective use and exorbitant amounts of large words but I enjoyed the way this book was written.

Amelia Anne's portion of the book was fantastic. I loved her spunk and her lighthearted attitude and the way she was passionate despite people putting her down. She was someone that I would be friends with and someone I could relate to. Her relationship with Luke was so well-written and the way it developed (view spoiler).

I also enjoyed the way the town was set up. Group mentalities are interesting to study and the book did an amazing job of portraying that. The way people's opinions would shift practically in unison because of one event, the distinct line between outsiders and people who'd been living there forever, and the gossip chain were all great additions to the story.

What I Didn't Like
It felt like the descriptions in this book overpowered the plot. They were fantastic and I loved them, but the actual story felt empty and it was hard to read sometimes because nothing seemed to be happening. It felt like she focused too much on describing the world than developing a story and characters.

I could relate to Becca's need to get out of her town, but other than that, she didn't have any substance. James was a little better (because I'm still a big fan of the angsty, brooding love interest) but he was still fairly flat.

The ending was stupid. I hated it. Oh my goodness. JSALK:JASLKJFLKSD:JFDSLKFJIQUWRI:LJSDGJ SDG No spoilers, but really? I didn't like the way it ended at all.

Overall
I liked this book, but not as much as I thought I would. John Green recommended it so I thought it was going to be stellar and it was good and I liked reading it, but it's not going to go onto my favorites list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone.

08/20/2012 page 101
show 1 hidden update…

Holden Wow, you're writing some cool reviews now! Makes me feel inferior... xD I need to finish this so I can start Jellicoe Road, but boy, it doesn't sound like it's going to be easy. xD

Alicia (Lav) Thanks! :D I decided writing reviews and analyzing what I like and don't like about books will help me grow as a writer, haha. And yes, you should finish it. It's worth it, I think, just to see the different style of writing if nothing else. AND YES JELLICOE ROAD IS PERFECT AND BEAUTIFUL AND YOU MUST READ IT. MUST MUST MUST.

Holden Hm, maybe I'll start doing that soon. You're right, it's a good writing exercise, and who knows, it might end up being my day job! Okay, I'll keep going! And then definitely on to Jellicoe Road! :-D