Ben's Reviews > The Barrytown Trilogy: The Commitments / The Snapper / The Van

The Barrytown Trilogy by Roddy Doyle

Dec 07, 2008

I always like to read an author's earliest books -- you usually see a lot of growth over a short space. Here especially.

I've never been to Dublin, nor Ireland, but after reading this, I feel as if I had. The dialogue is brilliant, and hilarious -- again, not having been, I don't know if people there actually talk like this, but if they don't, they should. Also, for the occasionally rough language, Doyle really spreads the love around, without it getting schmaltzy -- the locale, the characters -- it makes for warm reading. What's more, as the books go forward, the characterizations run deeper and deeper. The Jimmy Jr of the Snapper and the Van isn't much less of a cipher than that of the Commitments. But the Jimmy Sr who comes into his own in the Snapper then takes over the Van is full-fledged, a warm and rounded character to the very end.

My only complaint is that in many respects things are too good -- the Rabbittes are too likeable. They may bicker and fight, but ultimately they're good-hearted. Whenever Doyle has to paint in a villain, the baby's father in the Snapper, or Bimbo in the Van, he makes them look a little ridiculous, even pathetic. No, things don't work out for the Rabbittes -- at least in the short run -- but no real harm is ever done. I recommend the books, and I'll definitely go in for more of the short stories, but overall, I prefer books that don't need to hug it out in the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Barrytown Trilogy.

Kealan O'ver They do talk like this. Out of all books I've read set in Dublin, these ones capture the typical Dub the best.