Lauradownsify's Reviews > Accelerated

Accelerated by Bronwen Hruska

U 50x66
Aug 19, 2012

did not like it

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is a highly impairing condition, associated with impulsivity, increased risk of substance abuse, risky sexual behavior,and increased risk of physical injury, just to name a few. By propagating the myth that this diagnosis is given to children who just have a harder time paying attention, this author is undercutting the validity of a condition which has a broad negative impact on the lives of those it affects. This author has no idea what she's talking about, and should not be writing about ADHD without having read the vast body of empirical psychological research which has been conducted on this disorder. Having read her opinion piece in the New York Times, it sounds like her son was misdiagnosed with ADHD. However, as a parent, she did have the option to seek a second opinion, or attempt to use behavioral strategies to improve his behavior. Ultimately, medication is the decision of the parent. Not the decision of teachers, not the decision of doctors, it is soley the decision of the parent. Books like this contribute to the increasing amount of stigma directed towards those individuals with a valid diagnosis of ADHD.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Accelerated.

Christopher Sweda Actually, in several states if a teacher diagnoses a student with ADHD, a psychiatrist will in fact prescribe the child with medication. From there it is NOT the parents chose whether or not to medicate their child. If they do not give the medication prescribed to their child it is considered child abuse, and the child will be taken away. There have been many cases where parents have been put in prison due to not giving their child the disabling medication prescribed to their child. Considering you took the time to completely insult the author, when you in fact do not know all the details is pretty bad judgement.

message 2: by Janet (new)

Janet My son's teacher pressed me to put him on medication even after a neurologist at Phoenix Children's Hospital said he was "borderline" ADHD. I am very glad that I took him out of that school and gave him a chance to succeed unmedicated. That was 15 years ago and he's found his niche and thriving today. I know that teachers have a hard time controlling the kids these days but medication is not always the right answer.

message 3: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Hacker When my son was in elementary school, I witnessed a discussion among parents who planned to ask their pediatricians to put their children on Ritalin to see if that would result in higher grades.

Darren Standar Well said, Laura. I could not agree with you more. Cheap shots abound.

Darren Standar Sorry Christopher, but you are badly misinformed. You shouldn't repeat rumor as fact.

Darren Standar Bookkat, so what? what does that prove exactly? Kids with ADHD often do poorly in school because their attention wanders, and homework is too tedious to hold their attention. Maybe the kid had good social abilities, another common problem for people with ADHD, and so the parents were debating if treatment was really called for.