K.M. Weiland's Reviews > The Gods of Mars

The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Aug 19, 2012

liked it
Read from August 19 to 25, 2012

Burroughs, to our modern eyes, is a mixed bag. On the one hand, his stuff is blatant sensationalism, complete with purple prose, laughable melodrama, and cliched plots and characters. On the other, his work offers an astoundingly fresh creativity - even after all these years. His worldbuilding is beautiful and detailed and just plain fun. This may be pulp, but it's good pulp.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gods of Mars.

08/03/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by writegeist (new)

writegeist Glutton for punishment, huh? :)

K.M. Weiland Pretty much. ;) Truthfully, this book was the reason I started the series. I figured Andrew Stanton isn't going to be able to give us a sequel, and I needed to find out what happened to the indomitable John Carter.

message 3: by writegeist (new)

writegeist Sad but true. I enjoyed the movie a lot. I don't know why there was so much bad press. But you can sure tell that even current "pulp" stories have matured since ERB's day.

Daniel Swensen There is quite a bit of Gods of Mars shoehorned into the John Carter movie as it is. It's my favorite installment in the series, and probably the high point of all of them for me. After Gods, the cracks start to show a little as the same gags start getting recycled.

K.M. Weiland @Daniel: I just finished reading over the summaries for the rest of series, and I can see them growing repetitious. I'll probably quit on the series here, but I'm glad I read the first two. For what they are, they're lots of fun.

message 6: by writegeist (new)

writegeist From the sound of things, Burroughs might have suffered from the Conan Doyle syndrome where the author wasn't allowed by his fans to put the character away. I certainly got that feeling with the rest of the series. A lot of the last ones were basically spin-offs of characters from the first three books. It's understandable why ERB did what he did. But it's definitely a trap writers can fall into.

K.M. Weiland I hadn't heard that about Burroughs, but I can certainly see similarities between the course of some of his series and Conan Doyle's.