Ben Payne's Reviews > The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You

The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine N. Aron

M 50x66
Aug 19, 2012

liked it
Read in August, 2012

"Sensitive" is a word that usually sounds derogatory or pompous. But in this book Elaine Aron goes about claiming it back as a way of defining people with certain character traits. Her analysis is rooted in Jungian analysis, and I found at times she pushed her barrow a little hard; a lot of the latter chapters where she compares methods of dealing with sensitivity came off highly slanted. And as someone who had a pretty good childhood I found the focus on early years a little overdone.

However those are minor gripes with what was a really interesting and useful book. I was a bit cynical about the concept of a highly sensitive person as a type when I started reading, but I identified with so much of what was said, and it gave me a lot of useful thoughts for processing. Essentially Aron defines a HSP as someone who is overwhelmed more easily by too much stimulus, who feels things strongly and who needs time out from the world. If you are introverted and emotional this book will probably resonate with you, although Aron also takes pains to explain that extroverts can also be HSPs.

Anyway, an interesting book which gave me a lot to think about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Highly Sensitive Person.