Lydia Presley's Reviews > In a Fix

In a Fix by Linda Grimes

Aug 18, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, 2012, urban-fantasy
Read on August 18, 2012

It's been a while since I've read a good, steamy urban-fantasy, and In a Fix by Linda Grimes was the perfect solution to that problem.

I'm fairly picky when it comes to urban-fantasies. I like spunky heroines, unique abilities, and men that make me want to swoon a little bit. While Ciel wasn't quite as spunky as I wanted her to be (or maybe Billy and Mark were just a tad too overbearing), I thoroughly enjoyed her antics as she struggled to make her name in a very, very male-dominated business.

The unique abilities factor was definitely included here. Ciel belongs to a group of folks that are able to absorb information about people and take on their appearances. This allows them to become their clients and handle vacations/confrontations/spy jobs - whatever, as needed. So when Ciel takes on the task of being Mina to secure a proposal from Mina's hunky boyfriend, Trey, she bites off a little more than she can chew. Why? Because there's a spinter group of Vikings.. yes, Vikings, who have other things on their mind than Mina's proposal.

I laughed my butt off several times while reading In a Fix. There's a particular scene in a tree that had me going for a good, solid, two minutes. I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe (it was late, okay?). For being her debute book, Linda Grimes hit all the right spots for me here and I'm thoroughly impressed. I have very few favorite urban-fantasy authors but this one is an author I'll be watching. Just .. please Linda, tone down the macho-ness a tiny bit. I'd like to see Ciel actually learning how to be kick butt and independent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In a Fix.