kisha's Reviews > Coming of Age in Mississippi: The Classic Autobiography of a Young Black Girl in the Rural South

Coming of Age in Mississippi by Anne Moody

Aug 18, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: african-american-fiction, non-fiction-biography

I feel awful giving this book one star. I truly did want to like this book! I really did. But after nearly halfway through the book I just couldnt do it anymore. Im really not a fan of autobiographies because it usually isnt well-written at all. But every so often I will take a dive ito one because of my interest in the person or the subject. This I just couldnt do. It was a bunch of rambling on and on, it was inconsistent, and boring to say the least. The lack of description of emotion frustrated me. She basically just told the facts and thats it. Forget how it made her feel, no imagery no simile, no description, just the facts. It was like an outline of her life! The story was all over the place. I was dizzy, bored, and then dizzy again. But most importantly it was way too negative!!! Her in-take of life was all negativity. I understand people in those days had it hard, especially if you were poor, but damn didnt anything make her smile? Maybe because I am a true reader and inspiring writer that the lack of creativity bothered me so bad. I couldnt take anymore. I had to put the book DOWN!!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coming of Age in Mississippi.

August 18, 2012 – Started Reading
August 18, 2012 – Shelved
August 22, 2012 –
page 36
August 23, 2012 –
page 80
18.87% "It's not that often that I dont finish a book, but I dont know if I can finish this one. I wanna like it so bad but cant really seem to get into it. I cant get passed the fact that it wasnt well-written. I'm trying you guys...I'm trying..."
August 24, 2012 – Finished Reading
September 8, 2012 – Shelved as: african-american-fiction
September 8, 2012 – Shelved as: non-fiction-biography

Nancy I was going to recommend this to you. Hope you enjoy it!

kisha Thanks I can tell that I will already...right up my alley!

message 3: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry Connelly aww what a shame!

Zadignose Oh no! Well, I read this when I was quite young and not really such a critical reader, not necessarily aware of what is literary, and I don't remember many details, but I remember being affected by the book. Maybe I was just kind of clueless, and this was an eye-opener in terms of ordinary, everyday injustice to me, or something... I do intend to read it again some day, but who knows how many years will pass until that day. It's already been decades.