Mat's Reviews > Nagash the Sorcerer

Nagash the Sorcerer by Mike Lee

U 50x66

The barrier to entry on this book was high. Very high.

I originally bought it because the copy at the local Gaming Store was printed improperly. The cover was inside out. I knew that no one would buy such a sorry book.

I bought the book in a fit of altruism and loyalty to a hobby store that had helped me out for 3 years at Fort Bragg, NC.

I also asked for 10% off due to the poor condition of the print. When they refused, I bought the book, fearing their gazes if I were to put it back.

Right.

Well.

That kind of sets the mood for the book.

Betrayal. Nonsensical, amusing prose. The only thing missing in MY writing would be the lack of interesting words.

One reason I enjoy reading pulp fantasy novels is because of the vernacular. I love words. I like learning new words. When an uncommon word or an interesting string of words appear in novels, I often giggle out loud in delight.

Mike Lee's Nagash series starts slow, and it hits me that Mr. Lee took longer than necessary to set up the story.

I kept the book and doggedly read it simply because it was my Airport Book. I fly around the country a significant amount, due to my job.

For 50 pages, I would read a few sentences, love the descriptions of characters, but abhor the banal battle scenes. If I want to read a silly series of troop tactics and swordplay, I'll read Salvatore.

After that 50 pages, the book became amazing. I cannot pinpoint precisely what I love so much, but I adore the books after that 50 pages.

I quickly bought another 8 books by Mr. Lee after having read Nagash the Sorcerer and Nagash Undying. I do not regret that at all. I am keeping most of his books for when I am sad and want to read a bunch of fantasy to cheer me up.

This is my first written book review in nearly 10 years. Bear with my poor structure.

The entire trilogy is amazing. I love it. 5 stars, all three books. I cannot recommend them highly enough for people who enjoy the following:

Betrayal: This is pulp, dark fantasy. Moorcock and Leiber and Wagner are all three luminaries in the field, and I would not be at all surprised if Mr. Lee draws inspiration from those classic Sword and Sorcery authors. The main characters are constantly betraying one another. The protagonists are selfish and evil and I found myself enjoying it when they won grand battles. The evil characters cooperate until it is no longer useful to do so. The good characters suffer endlessly. There is no hope. The entire series is a bleak wasteland of tormented suffering. The glimmers of hope exist only so long as to bring delicious agony to the few people foolish enough to believe in goodness.

*******************************edit*****************************************

Descriptive words and phrases: Frankly, I will have to edit this review and include some choice phrases. The intimate treatment of minute details bring scenes to life, and add dimension to intentionally 2D characters. Thus making them 3D. Rendering my description poor.

********************************edit*******************************************

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nagash the Sorcerer.

Started Reading