Rachel Brown's Reviews > Fat Vampire: A Never Coming of Age Story

11193019
Aug 18, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy

A fat geeky teenage boy, Doug, becomes the world's least glamorous vampire in Rex's second novel. This one is nowhere near as assured or successful as Smekday.

It alternates narratives between Doug and Senjal, an Indian exchange student with an internet addiction. Doug's narration is dead-on as a geeky teenage boy. Senjal is potentially interesting but comes across more as a narrative construct than a flesh-and-blood character. But I was enjoying it, mostly for Doug's narration, until, at the two-thirds mark, the entire thing falls apart into a mess of preachiness and WTF.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fat Vampire.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) And the title has so much potential.

Rachel Brown Read "The True Meaning of Smekday!" That one totally lives up to its title.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) I think I have that on my list but I'll double check.

message 4: by Anthony (new) - added it

Anthony Warren-loveless This makes a lot of sense, Sejal was nothing but a distraction for the reader to get off track of the real reason for the adventures that Doug go through. Some of the characters weren't really necessary to have in the book at all. I just liked focusing on the plot which was how Doug was going to be a regular teenage boy with abilities like his that are hard to hide in a public area. These are the particular things I would fix as an author but, overall it was a really good book.