Tom Franklin's Reviews > All Marketers Are Liars: The Power of Telling Authentic Stories in a Low-Trust World

All Marketers Are Liars by Seth Godin

In "All Marketers are Liars" Seth Godin frames his post TV-industrial complex world of advertising as one of good storytelling. We, the public, are looking for strong, authentic stories that we want to believe. These are the ways new products catch fire with the public.

Godin says, in essence, we're all looking for new superstitions. A superstition is a story/belief told to us by someone we believe. We then take on that same belief, regardless of any greater Truth. In fact, we will seek out additional information to substantiate that point of view while disregarding any information to the contrary.

As with Purple Cow, Godin tears down the old methods of advertising and describes why they have been rendered useless. He then tells a convincing story about what needs to be done for new products (good stories told convincingly by people considered trustworthy) but Godin continues to concede that there is now way to guarantee your story will be heard, believed, and retold to others.

I get that Godin fully believes his world viewpoint is correct. (His financial foundation depends on that belief) What I find annoying to the point of being grating is that he happily points out the problems, happily points out what now works, happily provides examples to back up his claims, and yet continually fails to explain how anyone can create that kind of success for themselves.

At one point in this book he describes letters/emails he's received from companies who have tried to implement Purple Cow ideology to their products and companies, only to see no changes/growth/sales. Their frustration is understandable.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Marketers Are Liars.

Started Reading