Gayle's Reviews > Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls

Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls by Tellulah Darling

Aug 18, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed

As I read through the first chapter of this story something kept tugging at me like an old friend trying to get you to reminisce about an event that you can’t quite remember. Suddenly it came to me that it’s the dialog that is familiar. This is the type of rapid-fire dialog of Howard Hawks’ His Girl Friday, between Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell, or Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn in George Cukor’s The Philadelphia Story.

Then, there are the characters, Sam, who could easily transition into Philip Marlowe. I can also imagine Ally telling Sam, “You know Steve [Sam], you're not very hard to figure, only at times. Sometimes I know exactly what you're going to say. Most of the time. The other times... the other times, you're just a stinker.” I’m not certain if Ms. Darling intended to tip her hat to the classic movies, but that’s how it worked for me, and I loved it.

Sam, who has what he believes is a fool-proof plan for having relationships with girls that keeps him desired, yet detached, is handed the perfect opportunity to make his best friend in his image. The fact that his best friend is female is just icing on the cake. A female who thinks with her libido, rather than her heart—Wow! Ally, recently dumped and feeling it, has come to the conclusion that Sam’s plan can benefit her in oh, so many ways! The quest is a perfect story of the “game” of love involving the back and forth between a couple until they eventually end up on the same page—a place that only they did not see in advance.

Guys will identify with the timeless question, “Why can’t girls be more like guys?” Girls will identify with Ally’s quest to answer that question for herself. All will recognize the search for identity that is universal. Some, like me, will be able to ignore the updated language and settings and be drawn back into the world of the 30s & 40s classic movies. Intentional or not, this book lends itself well to the big screen. Are you writing the screenplay now, Ms. Darling? You should.

Speaking of the updated language and settings, assuming this book comes to the attention of just the right “keeper of our morals,” it will of course be banned in the U.S. That is not a bad thing for two reasons: 1) It will be in excellent company, and 2) It will then be read and enjoyed by many more teens who may have not noticed it originally.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls.