Emily's Reviews > Sweat

Sweat by Mark Gilleo

Aug 18, 2012

liked it
Read in August, 2012

This is the second book by Mark Gilleo and the complaints I had about his first book, Love Thy Neighbor, had me leery but I really enjoyed it! It was a fast read, interesting and suspense-filled.

Jake Patrick’s mom just died and his globe-trotting dad, Peter Winthrop, pops back into the picture. Jake isn’t above using his slightly guilty dad into giving him a summer job so he can pay off the bills and get ready to head back to grad school after a hiatus to take care of his sickly mom. While on the job, he reads an interesting fax that implicates his father with a pregnant sweatshop seamstress. Like his counterpart, Mark in Love Thy Neighbor, Jake has the good guy role down pat. Must do the right thing. It’s almost too much, in how they MUST do it. Why? Other people could take this on, people with experience, but NOPE. They must do it. So what does he do? Hooks up with a homeless ex-CIA operative and takes on a very impressive Chinese family with deadly connections.

I liked this book, it isn’t going to win any best book evaaaaaaaaar prizes, but it’s solid. I would recommend this one over Love Thy Neighbor if you want to check out Gilleo’s work. I do wish there was more character development. More questions answered and a more clear cut reason for why people decided on X , Y, & Z move. Sometimes it just didn’t flow right, it needed a bit of a connection in thoughts of the characters, if that makes sense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweat.