birdie's Reviews > You Should See Me in a Crown

You Should See Me in a Crown by Leah  Johnson

bookshelves: bipoc, contemporary, lgbtqiap, sapphic

i'll die on this hill if i must but stories that 1) takes place in a small town (with a sapphic romance in this case!!!) where 2) an outsider learns to shine and 3) finds themselves...those stories absolutely OWN me!

you should see me in a crown was such a beautiful and heartwarming story! i left this story feeling so empowered and warm while my expectations weren't all too high. i expected a fluffy sapphic romance but liz's story was SO much more than that!

her character development is amazing to be honest. i loved following her journey and seeing how she started believing in herself more and more and the friendships she made and how she grew and–don't mind me, i'm feeling like an emotional mom right now.

the dynamics between the characters were a big yes for me, too. i would've loved to see more from liz and her family though! but the friendship between liz and her former best friend was everything. seriously, i adored that part. i'm a sucker for platonic m/f relationships and this one NAILED IT!

i can obviously not judge the black rep as i'm white but since i've seen quite a lot of people describe this book as "black joy", i think it's safe to scream this: I LOVED THE REP!!

and then, yes, THE ROMANCE! i feel like it wasn't the biggest part of the story but you know what? it didn't need to be! i feel like there should've been more chemistry at the start but in the end i was so so so invested in them!

this is, indeed, a story of finding yourself. of shining in a small town. of so much things, but for me the most import thing was: this is a story of hope. realistic, heartfelt and absolutely amazing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Should See Me in a Crown.

April 15, 2021 – Started Reading