Dennis Batchelder's Reviews > Storm Killer

Storm Killer by Benjamin Blue

M 50x66
Dec 06, 2008

An out-of-this-world adventure

Benjamin Blue unveils a cool technology that's strong enough to stop a hurricane. "Storm Killer" is the name of the satellite that can reflect a concentrated, super-heated ray of light into the top of a storm, stopping the vicious cycle that powers hurricanes.

Unfortunately, a super-heated ray of light can also be used as a weapon. And some of the Latin American countries aren't too thrilled with the possibility of hurricanes being diverted their way. Plots thicken and tensions brew as the three-person security team on board the satellite figure out who's sabotaging the system while fending off a trigger-happy US President ready to blow them out of the sky.

Blue sets his book in the near future, after several Katrina- and Ike-like storms have devastated the Gulf Coast. I found the book interesting, the story line engaging, and the stakes high enough to keep me reading it through in two big gulps. Blue's writing reminds me of early Dan Brown - and I'm looking forward to following him as he grows into the remaining two books in his "Killer" trilogy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm Killer.