Dennis Batchelder's Reviews > Mirror Reversal

Mirror Reversal by Richard Goscicki

M 50x66
Dec 06, 2008

Read in April, 2008

'Confederacy of Dunces' meets 'Eyes Wide Shut'

Richard Goscicki's 'Mirror Reversal' explores what happens to a professor of psychology and biology and her fiancee when their inhibitions toward sex and assertiveness are stripped away by a leprechaun determined to show them what "real life" is like.

Doctor Cynthia Whipple, a sheltered atheist and secular humanist, quits her safe professorship and heads to New York City to start a new and wild life. We follow her as she bumps her way down the social ladder, and we are treated to her scientific and psychological observations of the bottom rungs of humanity as she deals with Christian fanatic professors, strip club dancers and managers, and prostitutes and pimps.

Goscicki evokes a vivid sense of place. His sex scenes are raw and explicit. Throughout the book, he treats us to a meme-based view of societal evolution. And most interesting to me, Goscicki makes his zany characters conflicted to the point of paradox: a Christian singer with a "pet" pygmy; an anti-atheist tow truck driver who hurts Cynthia to "loosen her up" yet will drop everything to save her, and Cynthia herself, who keeps high morals for strangers while blatantly cheating on her finance.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mirror Reversal.