Victoria 's Reviews > The Shack

Dec 06, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: did-not-like, recomended-to-me
Read in December, 2008

While the story line of this book was definitely intriguing and made me cry at times there is simple to much wrong about it to recommended it.
The writing style was not very good and sometimes the author just failed to get the point across.
It has many blatant lies about the scriptures. I was recommended this book by some friends but had heard negative comments about it so I went in very discerning. Over all it showed a disrespect for God, and the bottom line was because God is loving we will all be in heaven and there will be no judgment. That God does everything on our time.
There was some good discussion on the holy spirit but not worth all the bad information to justify reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shack.

03/05/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Yikes! I've never read it myself but I heard that this is a horrible and heretical book! Mark Driscoll has a good review of it on youtube: http://livelaughlearn-ronette.blogspo...

Victoria Thank you for the warning ! :-)
I am reading this book and being very discerning and taking notes to compare with scripture when something doesn't sound right.
I have had a few friends just love this book and other dislike it, so I wanted to read it to find out for myself. So far I am finding some huge red flags! I really want to discuss is with my friends now and show them where it is not in line with scripture !
Thanks for the video too, I found this off the link you sent and thought it was a very good summery if you want to share it with anyone else :-)
~ Victoria

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I was thinking of warning you, too, as I read a review on it that told of some of its fallacies. I'm glad you already knew some of what to expect. :)

message 4: by Amanda (last edited May 20, 2009 11:02AM) (new)

Amanda I read this book before reading any reviews, and made the mistake of believing the "foreword" that said it was a true story! Imagine my shock at some of the doctrines being taught! Eventually I came to realize the reviews on the back cover that called it fiction were indeed correct, further reinforced by the reviews here at GoodReads. What a relief.

Some of the stuff was good, for sure, but then there was stuff that just plain freaked me out. And, as you said, blatant lies. But, still, I'm glad I read it, so I can point out the errors to friends who enjoy it and don't know any better. *nodnod*

Although your review is brief, in my opinion it says all that needs to be said. The book has an interesting and heartwarming story, but too many false doctrines are promoted for it to be worth the read. The Scriptures are still the most reliable source for Truth, after all.