Ben Lever's Reviews > This Will Make You Smarter: New Scientific Concepts to Improve Your Thinking

This Will Make You Smarter by John Brockman

it was ok
bookshelves: psych, science, philosophy

It didn't.

No, in all seriousness, I think this book would have been quite good for me about five years ago - many of the cognitive tools they bring up are indeed very useful. But this book suffers from having too many authors - so for one thing there is quite a lot of redundancy, as multiple people advocate very similar principles, which often overlap with the essays of others, and for another thing everyone was limited to an average of two pages, so there isn't enough room to say anything with any real depth. It's just a basic, quick response to the question, without a lot of detail.

This is compounded by the fact that I've been reading a lot on this concept over the last few years, so often I have read entire books, or multiple long essays, on many of these theories, and often by the very people who are writing them. This just made these little snippets seem even more shallow by comparison.

So, basically, if "improving your thinking" is something you have an interest in, you've probably already come across 90% of these ideas in a better form. I don't want to bag it out too much - this book genuinely would serve as a great introduction to someone who hasn't come across these ideas before. But that person isn't me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Will Make You Smarter.

August 17, 2012 – Shelved
page 202
January 11, 2013 –
page 289
January 13, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Jurij Fedorov Exactly what I feel. This is a great intro book. But the authors just about have time to present a topic. There is no in depth discussion.