Pk's Reviews > Lisey's Story

Lisey's Story by Stephen King

U 50x66
Aug 17, 2012

Read in August, 2012

I'd say it's hard to comment on this one without finishing it. Perhaps it's true for most any novel, but Lisey's is a book you have to finish to understand. There's no way to judge this puzzle by putting an incomplete version under the lens. Needless to say, I enjoyed the read tremendously- even if at times I didn't... if that makes sense. The rhythm is a challenge, sometimes you don't know why you're interested in certain characters or outcomes, but it all comes together with a massive payoff near the end.

I'm a 32 yo man who's been reading King novels off & on since I was 10. You could say sometimes they're my... wait for it... like sometimes they're my 'anchor' (hey that's not a spoiler- that's just a bad joke! lol). But this one actually made me cry, embarrassing as it is (do I really have to put my name up there? :) ) . I hadn't cried in 10 years- not anywhere, and had never in front of a book- but Lisey's cracked the surface. The relationships in this novel are not perfect and you could probably find some error if you wanted to, but so much the better- it grounds them in reality for the reader. I don't know how else to put it but suffice it to say I don't regret the read for a second. You could feel Steve's heart bursting onto every page- it must have been extraordinarily personal for him because I'm not sure how often I've felt it before- the guiding force here is relentless.

Just finish the journey, folks, you don't have to talk about it with anyone, it could be a totally private experience for you, but I reckon Lisey's provides a much-needed breath of fresh air for all of us pushing through the insanity of life. I'll never forget it. It was surprisingly... SHOCKingly... brilliantly therapeutic for me; could be the same for you too.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lisey's Story.

04/07 marked as: read