Katy's Reviews > Froi of the Exiles

Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta

Aug 17, 2012

Read from August 17 to 25, 2012

I really thought there was NO possible way Marchetta could impress with "Froi of the Exiles" after she TOTALLY blew me away with "Finnikin of the Rock." But boy was I wrong. I don't think I can say which book I loved more, but I DO think Marchetta put a lot more thought into this one.

I'm not sure what took me so long to read this book. My history with this series: (view spoiler) And I was NOT disappointed.

WARNING: This review DOES contain either unmarked spoilers or hints about the book's story development.

The reason why I thought Marchetta did such a better job with this book was because it was SO complex. Book 1 focused on Finn and his mission to return the rightful heir back to Lumatere as well as Evanjalin and her mysterious quest. This book not only focused on a grown-up Froi and the bond that brings him to Charyn as well as the ever-so-strange Quintana and her role to break the curse, but it also involved so many other characters and the politics that threatens war within Charyn but also with other neighboring kingdoms. To see how Marchetta develop each character and how she incorporates each intricate detail to this complicated network of co-existing communities is utterly amazing.

So much of this book was based on character development. Whereas Evanjalin always knew who she was, Froi grew up not knowing where he came from or where he belongs. And Quintana, although she always "knew" where she came from, she had to learn about balance and discovered who she REALLY was - and not in the soul-searching way either.

Gosh, how do I rave about Froi and Quintana without spoiling the book?

Froi isn't your typical trained assassin on a mission to fulfill this bond with his queen. No, his life becomes much more complicated with each person he meets. This drifter who used to not care about anyone but himself has not only learned to be loyal to his Lumaterean queen and her people - those he have the utmost respect for - but Froi learned to care about INDIVIDUAL people, many of whom he can't even stand. And no, it's not hard to guess where he is from (the kingdom, not the actual province) and what he has to do with the curse. HOWEVER, Marchetta threw in so many twists that it kept me on my toes. But they weren't twists that made you think, "What the hell, yet ANOTHER twist?!?" Nope, you can tell the twists were well planned, and every time she threw something else at you, you're just left in awe. And (view spoiler)

And Quintana. Oh my, what an interesting character. I knew why she was the "half mad princess," but the whole explanation of how she became such was so hauntingly beautiful, and it totally blew me away. Princess Indignant was irritating, exasperating but amusing. And Cold Quintana was unsettling, and there was a lot to her. Here comes to play that concept of balance and how each part of her dealt with situations she was faced. Not only that, but how everyone else regarded her. Marchetta just did a truly amazing job writing Quintana, and I am more than eager to see more of this in Book 3. I did have one concern though, and that was at one point Arjuro said (view spoiler) I want to know if this is true at all or if it was because he made a wrong observation.

But for me, the most powerful character in the book was not one of our two main ones - Gargarin. When we first meet him, he is just a crippled old man with a chip on his shoulder. But there are SO many layers to him. You can't even begin to fathom everything he has been through, all the decisions he has made in life, all of the truths or half-truths of even lies he has told and the reasoning behind them and most of all, how everything was so planned in his head, and you can see the gears ticking as he makes each decision and each move. And what's incredible was not his actual actions but the seeds he plants in others. He is truly a complicated character that is more than meets the eye.

And I loved how all of the side stories played out and how each one of them, although you wouldn't think so, provides just enough detail at just the right time. Finn and Isaboe, Beatriss and Trevanion, Tesadora and Perri, Rafuel, Lucian and Phaedra (OMG, I am DYING to know more about this last one). Every side story made you say, "Oh, so THAT is how everything is linked together," and it's so crafty because it's obviously not that important but everything is so relevant in the grand scheme of things.

A few things I did NOT like, though not enough to bump the rating down…

While I was glad to see more of our beloved couple from Book 1, what in the world did Marchetta do to Finnikin and Isaboe? I'm not a huge fan of Finnikin in this book. Finn seems so possessive and jealous of just about everyone - Froi for the bond he shares with the queen, Tesadora for her connection with Isaboe and even Jasmina his own daughter. "But Isaboe was all hers. If there was one thing he and his daughter shared, it was the desire to be the only person in Isaboe’s life." Really? And Isaboe? What happened to the strength and determination she had in Book 1? I know this are a bit different now, and I understand that her decisions are hard to make as she tries to decide what is best for her kingdom. I KNOW she's going to be unsure and will have to rely on some advice. But I guess the way she is presented in this book, it was almost as if she was a scared, weak ruler that DEPENDED on the wisdom of others. I guess I just wasn't fond of the way those two were presented in this book, especially when such important matters were at stake.

And with each character development, you see how it affects the rest of the politics that is involved in this whole story. What an amazing masterpiece Marchetta has created.

And there is one thing that I still don't really understand and would like to learn more about is the whole oracle deal and the being spoken by the gods thing. (view spoiler)

So yes, it took me FOREVER to read this book, but you know I will not be waiting another day once Book 3 comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Froi of the Exiles.

08/17/2012
5.0% "Reread prologue and chapter 1 to refresh my memory from five months ago."
08/21/2012
60.0% "Chapter 24 - OMG, I don't want to stop reading this!" 2 comments
08/22/2012
70.0% "Gonna finish this tonight if it's the last thing I do."

Deniz an did you finish it?

Katy LOL, no! I think I fell asleep ten minutes after my head hit the pillow. I was that exhausted. On the flip side, I got seven hours of sleep! :D

Deniz Katy wrote: "LOL, no! I think I fell asleep ten minutes after my head hit the pillow. I was that exhausted. On the flip side, I got seven hours of sleep! :D"

damn i hate you woman! 7hours?
*jealous*

Katy LOL, I wish I hadn't slept that long though. I have so much to do today. :(

Deniz Katy wrote: "LOL, I wish I hadn't slept that long though. I have so much to do today. :("

sigh. yeah we in the lets-drown-in-work-club at the moment...
i am so gonna sleep loads tonight!

Word Traffic LOL. Go Katy! :D

Katy LOL, and there's the person responsible for getting me into this series! WT, you should tell D all the reasons why she should read Finnikin and Froi. :)

Word Traffic LOL. Hmmmm... It's seriously fantastic, but virtually unknown for some reason... Very raw and intense. The best book I've read in a while :) If you like fantasy, this should be on your list!

Deniz Katy wrote: "LOL, and there's the person responsible for getting me into this series! WT, you should tell D all the reasons why she should read Finnikin and Froi. :)"
yes please tell me WT
and should i read finnikin next or poison study?

Word Traffic Romance, delicious secrets, characters who make some REALLY BAD CHOICES!

Word Traffic The characters were flawed and yet perfect and I think this was what won me over :)

Deniz Word Traffic wrote: "The characters were flawed and yet perfect and I think this was what won me over :)"

thanks WT!!

Navdha Yay! You're done. Will be waiting for the review.

message 15: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy So many thoughts floating in my head right now. I really wish I didn't have such a hectic week because I would have read it in one sitting.

Navdha I know that feeling. It's so hard to collect your thoughts. It can't be finished in one sitting. You'd need to give up everything else.

message 17: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Whew, that review took a lot out of me... And I don't think I even covered half of it. :P

message 18: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 Do you think this series is my cup of tea? All my friends are loving it... I fear to be extremely disappointed.

Navdha Oh you covered it perfectly. Arjuro's observation had left me confused but it slipped out of my mind. Interesting. Now I'm wondering if that was really a mistake or is there more to it.

message 20: by Katy (last edited Aug 25, 2012 10:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Experiment BL626 wrote: "Do you think this series is my cup of tea? All my friends are loving it... I fear to be extremely disappointed."

LOL! I'm scared to recommend anything to you. I usually check out your reviews for books NOT to read. :P But we agreed on Assassin's Curse, Grave Mercy and somewhat on Hedgewitch Queen. But I loved Touch of Power and Shadow and Bones, and you didn't. So it's really a toss-up right now. But I think there's a really, really, really good chance you WILL like it so yes, I think you should give it a try. You can yell at me if you don't like it. (Sorry for the cop-out answer, but yes, do give it a try, LOL.)

message 21: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 Don't be scared, I don't fling poop. I iz civilized~ [image error] I don't get disappointed at friends who gives unsuccessful recommendation, I get disappointed at the books.

Thanks! I will TBR this series then.

message 22: by Katy (last edited Aug 26, 2012 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Okay, you're like the third person to talk about poop to me in the last two days... I must be giving off a vibe... But good, now I can put all the extra scrubbers, soap and perfume back on the store shelves.

message 23: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 I don't envy your vibe... [image error]

message 24: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy LMAO!!! (No pun intended.)

message 25: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 Apparently there is no diminishing returns on poop jokes. (Yes, I just watched that The Big Bang Theory episode).

message 26: by Katy (last edited Aug 27, 2012 04:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Damnit! I can't find that scene about "no law of diminishing comic returns on space poop!" BUT I did find two other GREAT scenes in that episode. ;)

Simulated Zero Gravity Human Waste Disposal Test with Mealoaf Analog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXJgXP...

This was an important contribution for two reasons. No. 1 and of course No. 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twwKIA...