Sonya's Reviews > The Wishing Spell

F 50x66
Aug 17, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read in August, 2012

For a first book it's surprisingly well-written. Although the writing style seems a bit stiff, the book is still very entertaining to read - I stopped paying attention to the style after a couple of chapters.

Plot moves consistently but lacks the spark. Many twists are predictable and the main one (as I suppose it is (I don't consider the Evil Queen story though), about the twins' father) seems a little ridiculous. Since it's a fairytale, its morals are supposed to be clear to a reader of any age. Then perhaps it's the abundance of foreseeable twists is what makes the book an easy read, and thus, it's alright because it's a trait of the style. But still, personally I would have liked the plot to be more intricate.

The characters made the book amazing. They are the highlight of it. The twins' are amazing, Conner's sense of humour - witty and very playful, sometimes even rude - is quite compelling, The Red Riding Hood is delightfully silly and self-absorbed, Goldilocks' story is fascinating and don't even get me started on the Evil Queen. The reader waits almost until the very end (the fact that there's a story to this villain is revealed in the prologue)to learn about what turns out to be a very tragic life. And it was captivating to step back into my childhood, revive all these stories and learn what'd happened with them after the happily-ever-after.

It wouldn't been a good book without any allusions to present times. And there were a few. Such moments made me tear up because Colfer is very good at bringing to attention unfair or wrong parts of life, and it shows that they are written wholeheartedly, with a sincere wish to change them and make our world a better place.

On the whole, the book makes an interesting read, is not boring and worth the time you'll spend reading it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wishing Spell.