Kayla's Reviews > Peter and the Starcatchers

Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry

Aug 17, 2012

bookshelves: ah-my-childhood, characters-who-rock, magic-wizard-stuff, historical, fairytale-esque
Recommended for: Fans of Peter Pan!

Peter Pan was probably one of my all time favorite movies growing up. (Lion King was Number One of All Time. Just sayin'.) I actually had a tiny bit of a crush on Peter when I was about five years old.

That being said, I'm a big, big fan of Peter Pan stories.

Peter and the Starcatchers is the re-imagined origin-story of Peter and the Lost Boys. Peter and his friends are orphans, about to sail off on the ship Neverland to the mysterious land of Rundoon, where they've been told they will find new homes. The ship is manned largely by the cruel first-mate, since the captain is completely incompetent and senile. Also on the ship is Molly, traveling with her governess and off to meet her father, who sails on the Wasp with valuable treasure. The treasure is pursued by clever and bloodthirsty pirates--unbeknownst to them, the treasure has switched ships. Now the pirates are after the mysterious valuables and only Molly--and later Peter--can save it.

This book is a BLAST. Super fun and creative, though I admit it confused me a bit at times. I read this last when I was thirteen, and I just loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peter and the Starcatchers.