wafiyah's Reviews > Awaken

Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky

Aug 17, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, sci-fi-or-fantasy, romance
Recommended to wafiyah by: No one
Recommended for: No one of interest

Justin is such a hypocrite, Maddie is so obsessive, and the whole world is just so strangely unreal it's hard to get into this book's settings. Honestly, I can't imagine an entire park made of plastic, it just doesn't work like that. True, I understand that people are so indulged in their technology it makes them ignore their real friends for weeks, months, and years, but this whole "save the world" thing is just so ridiculous, to be blunt. I suppose it was an idea others could have taken and written themselves and Kacvinsky did well there, but some things about this book just... messed up. Also, I hope Justin and Maddie get their shit together and realize that it's not healthy to depend on someone with your life (Maddie), and if you're going to tell your kind-of-girlfriend that she has to be "open" and "honest" and to "be herself" then you're gonna have to do the same (Justin).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awaken.

August 17, 2012 – Started Reading
August 17, 2012 – Shelved
August 17, 2012 –
page 204
66.02% "Justin is such a hypocrite. I started feeling this slow anger towards him near the middle of the book, but now I really don't like him."
August 19, 2012 – Finished Reading