Matt's Reviews > Writing and Difference

Writing and Difference by Jacques Derrida

Dec 05, 2008

it was ok

The abstract art of modern philosophy. Self-indulgent (others say playful), unnecessarily digressive and round-about----the actual conceptual depth of what is conveyed, while it was surely groundbreaking, can be stated in terms much simpler than Derrida's. Derrida is a cultural hero to many and the gravitational mass of the cult that surrounds him has bent the light in the eyes of those who adulate a man that can do no wrong.
I once heard Derrida give a lecture in Auckland on the concept of mercy as related to "merci", and it was 3 hours long. 1/3 of the audience left by 30 minutes once they saw where he was headed, 1/3 sat in rapture, and 1/3 laughed and played cards (or maybe that was my friend and I...).
Derrida blah blah blah.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writing and Difference.

message 1: by Traveller (new) - added it

Traveller Hehe... yes, he does seem to "wax forth" and become quite... erm, lyrical about issues that could have been addressed in a much simpler and straightforward fashion, in my opinion.

A pity, because his ideas are interesting, but his style makes then more inaccessible than is necessary.