Eastofoz's Reviews > Promises Prevail

Promises Prevail by Sarah McCarty

Dec 05, 2008

bookshelves: favourites, western-frontier, erotica, e-book
Recommended for: Readers looking for a western protector theme romance

It’s so very rare that I come across a book that has me bawling buckets at the end but this one did the trick and so unexpectedly too. Can this woman ever write. From the first book in the “Promises” series right through to this one every single hero has had me drooling, sighing, swooning and OMG-ing pretty much from the get-go. She writes about rough and tough men, your John Wayne/Clint Eastwood movie in print.

McCarty has this unique talent with the way she writes to make you really feel like you’re reading a western and not just another historical romance set in the west. The characters pop off the pages. They talk like you’d think they’d talk in a flick, the setting is this country backwater lost in god’s country somewhere and the story keeps this tone right through. The men don’t mince words and say what they have to say while the women chit chat when they meet. All very cowboy/western. If you like that feeling of familiarity you get with reading a series you’ll find that in spades here. All of the characters from the previous books play an integral part in this story and new ones are added giving you a soap opera kind of feel. It’s Robin Carr’s “Virgin River” without the ooey-gooey.

What I found to be most impressive was the heroine. I liked her and normally I shouldn’t have. She’s a horribly abused woman (suffering from debilitating anxiety attacks at the worst possible times) who is very submissive because that’s all she's known, but under it all she’s very strong when given the opportunity to shine. She’s not a whiner and I didn’t find her to be one of those annoying one dimensional doormat women. She isn’t a bit of hellfire like Elizabeth from “Promises Linger” (who was a harpy at times) and she’s not an innocent either like Mara in “Promises Keep”. There’s something about her that I really liked. Maybe it was her fragility (and normally that’s the last thing I like in a heroine) mixed with her need to show who she really was.

The best thing though about this book is the protector theme that underlies it with each character and their wives. Clint here is such a phenomenal man. He doesn’t care who’s looking or how weird he might appear if Jenna is experiencing any kind of discomfort, he’s right there for her all the time. His patience is on par with Asa’s from book 1 but in a different way. He’s so gentle with Jenna which is waaay out of character but it somehow works. During the wedding scene all the heart strings were pulling like crazy and I got all choked up with an OMG to go right along with it and never mind a whole bunch of *sigh, omg, sigh, omg, sigh* (repeat!) too. Don’t want to give anything away, but the way he saved her and how all his buddies helped him save face too was exceptionally well-done without being hokey. Clint’s the kind of guy that’s done a lot of not so nice things so he’s really ripped up inside. I love the McKinley’s (Clint and psycho Cougar) and their insane need to protect their women. It’s impressive that McCarty is able to write the protector theme without going into the realm of the stupid and moronic. This book (this whole series even) is a fine example of a “How to”.

The one minor complaint I could make is that sometimes there was a bit too much sex without anything else in between, BUT (and it’s a big ‘but’ too) McCarty seriously knows how to build tension and write a sex scene without having you rush through it. She just slowly gets you to where you know you’re going and suddenly 20 pages have gone by. That sounds like a heck of a lot for a steam scene but it just goes to show what a truly gifted writer she is.

There’s some great dry humor throughout the book too (the lady’s W.O.M.B club is a riot, Asa with his wit and quick come backs are hilarious) as well as some horrifying scenes, some told in detail and others just left to your imagination.

Frankly, it’s a wonder that readers even know about this series given those seriously creepy and atrocious covers, the price (EC is so expensive) and their dead weight (my wrists got a work out!), but it just goes to show what word of mouth does. I can’t recommend this book enough. You’ll laugh, cringe, die (time and time again with this one) and just bawl like I said at the beginning because Clint has got to be one of the most beautiful heroes I’ve ever come across. Read this book if you want an emotional trip that’ll stay with you for a good while after –the ending is still playing in my head :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promises Prevail.

Finished Reading
December 5, 2008 – Shelved
July 10, 2009 –
page 1
0.27% "It's cowboy time again :D"
July 12, 2009 –
page 267
70.82% "My god is this book ever good (*sigh sigh*). Just when you thought McCarty couldn't make her heroes any better, in walks Clint :D"
July 13, 2009 –
page 368
97.61% "The last page is soaked from bawling!!! Damn this book was good :D"
July 16, 2009 – Shelved as: favourites
July 22, 2009 – Shelved as: western-frontier
July 22, 2009 – Shelved as: erotica
July 23, 2009 – Shelved as: e-book

message 1: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Clint?! But he's not the neandrathal? (hehehehe!)

Eastofoz It was tough Tammy I'll admit getting over that name (lol!) but I managed --this guy could be called "Dirt" and I'd still be swooning ;)

Ladiibbug LOL @ East: "It's cowboy time again :D"

Glad you liked #3 East. I like the Promises series alot too, and with #4, Promises Reveal, Sarah McCarty has switched publishers ... and the cover art is vastly improved.

Imo, the author's writing continues to improve as well ... seems like each book is better and better. Not that there's anything wrong with the earlier books, but it's enjoyable to see an author fine tune her writing :-)

Looking forward to your review on the next one, featuring the Reverand Brad Swanson (or IS he?) ... a truly memorable hero and book :-)!

Eastofoz Ladiibbug I'd agree that her writing has continued to improve. She also has a talent for writing sex scenes that are frequent and long but more often than not, fresh feeling.

Maybe I'll read bad Brad's book (lol!) next...I just don't want the series to end :(

Ladiibbug Hi East ~

Your review got me to wondering what's next in the Promises series ... her site sez Jackson's book is TBA in 2010.

Have you read either book in her paranormal series? My friend is sending #1 to me soon - I'm looking forward to reading it.

Eastofoz What paranormal series 8-) I've only read her "Hells 8" series and I have her book Running Wild but I've been told it's just a big sex fest and not as good as her other books. Do share your info now :D

Jackson's story could be a good one and I'm sure Gray's story will be right up there eventually.

Auntee Eastofoz wrote: "It was tough Tammy I'll admit getting over that name (lol!) but I managed --this guy could be called "Dirt" and I'd still be swooning ;)"

Dirt--LOL!!

Ladiibbug Eastofoz wrote: "What paranormal series 8-) I've only read her "Hells 8" series and I have her book Running Wild but I've been told it's just a big sex fest and not as good as her other books. Do s..."

Running Wild contains stories 1, 2 & 3 in her paranormal series ... Wild Instinct continues it:

Eastofoz Thanks for the info link Ladiibbug :)

Eastofoz Auntee it's true! His name could be anything, he's freakin' amazing! :D

Auntee Gotta write that review when you get a chance...:)

Eastofoz I know Auntee (I think I'll take a leave of absence from work --lol!), it's still gives me goosebumps for how good it was :D

Auntee Shoot! Now I want to read it again!
Great review East!:)

Eastofoz Thanks Auntee :) It's certainly reread material :D

message 15: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review East!
*sighs* This sounds really good~

message 16: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina Great review, East! I didn't like the book as much as you did but I can see why you loved it so much. ;)

message 17: by Adrienne (last edited Jul 16, 2009 07:46AM) (new)

Adrienne I've had this plus the others in the series on my TBR shelf ever since I read the excerpt on her website....thank you for the great review East, think I'll upgrade them to my wish list:).

Eastofoz Thanks everyone :)

Dina what didn't you like about the book?

Adrienne I had this series lolling around on TBR forever and then finally I took the plunge and will be finished it today most likely with the last book "Promises Reveal" --a great series :)

message 19: by Dina (last edited Jul 16, 2009 12:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina Eastofoz wrote: "Dina what didn't you like about the book?"

I'm afraid I didn't "connect" with either Clint or Jenna. I spent the whole book trying to understand why he thought he was unworthy of Jeanna, only to be given an explanation that didn't make sense. Jenna was a basket case from the start, a true doormat IMHO. Considering all the abuse she had suffered all her life, I understood her behavior but it was somewhat inconsistent. If she'd been really decided to leave her husband before he died, that meant she had grown some spine, but she just went back to being a wimp after she was finally free from her husband. Those idiosyncrasies filled the plot with some holes that prevented me from fully enjoying this book.

Eastofoz ************SPOILERS************* don't keep reading if you don't want any!!!**************

Dina I see what you're saying. I didn't see it that way though (lol!) I thought Clint felt himself unworthy of Jenna because he killed her husband and never told her, (plus all the other stuff he'd done in the past). He saw her as this paragon of kindness sort of and he was just a bad ass. Jenna was certainly a basketcase but seeing as she grew up that was with her psycho father and then her crazy husband I understood why she couldn't change her submissive ways but slowly tried to and in the end I felt that she did especially with being way more adventurous sexually. I think she was scared of all men and especially Clint because he was so huge and dominant so she just continued behaving the only way she knew how to make sure he wouldn't hurt her. It took her a while to trust him and be less "doormat-ish" (lol!). I loved that wedding scene where he held her as she was coming down the aisle in the middle of an anxiety attack. That poor woman. Well that's my take on it all at least (lol!)

message 21: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina I see your points, East, and actually thought the same while I was reading the book but it wasn't enough to make me warm to them. I guess it all comes down to the fact that I didn't like Clint and Jenna very much, so I had a hard time understanding their behavior. Oh well, we'll have to agree to disagree on this book, which only makes the world a more interesting place. :)

And yes, the wedding scene was very sweet. I loved it too.

Eastofoz Dina wrote: "Oh well, we'll have to agree to disagree on this book, which only makes the world a more interesting place. :)"

That it does Dina :)

message 23: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Glad you found a Clint that you like East! You make me want to add this series to my TBR pile ASAP.

Eastofoz Tammy wrote: "Glad you found a Clint that you like East! You make me want to add this series to my TBR pile ASAP."

And a smart move that'll be Tammy --you'll luuuuvvv these guys :D

message 25: by Tammy (new)

Tammy How many books are in the series? I just started a series that Auntee recommended last night. Hubby rolled his eyes and laughed when I walked thru the front door with my B&N bag.

Eastofoz There are 4 in this series and it's continuing.

Hubby shudders when the boxes arrive at my place (lol!)

message 27: by Tammy (new)

Tammy 4 isn't so bad.

I've learned to stop griping about my hubby's time on WOW (World of Warcraft). If I bring it up, he doesn't hesistate to bring up the amount of time I spend reading! I guess we all need our outlets ...

Eastofoz Tammy wrote: "4 isn't so bad.

LOL! It's nice that everybody's happy at the end of the day eh ;)

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Frankly, it’s a wonder that readers even know about this series given those seriously creepy and atrocious covers, the price (EC is so expensive) and their dead weight (my wrists got a work out!)

I have one Elora's Cave book and I completely agree - awful covers, so heavy, expensive... It's funny but the lighter paper is cheaper too - why do so many small publishers (including the literary press I used to work for) insist on making ugly, heavy books with uninspiring covers, when it costs so much to do so?! *shakes head*

Great review btw :)

Eastofoz Thanks Shannon :) I just finished up the last one in the Promises series, "Promises Reveal", it's a Berkley Sensation one and what a difference it made in terms of weight. Light as a feather!

Shannon (Giraffe Days) *laughs*
Is there any hope the others will be republished by Berkley?

Eastofoz Shannon wrote: "*laughs*
Is there any hope the others will be republished by Berkley?"

I'm hoping that Berkley does the covers and EC takes her back with the story because the EC ones are better despite the weight (!)

Shannon (Giraffe Days) There's that big a difference? (It's not often that a series switches publishers halfway through - Lynsay Sands' Argeneau series did, but it seems unusual.) Why would they publish the fourth book when the previous three are a different publisher? (I'm curious - I find this stuff interesting!)

Eastofoz Good question Shannon. I'm figuring that Berkley offered her more money (?) There is a noticeable difference --even if you read other reviews for the last book several readers say the same thing.

Auntee I'm guessing since EC is a smaller publisher, authors jump at the chance to be published by a big NY publisher--better distribution, potentially more income, etc.

Eastofoz I'd find it hard to believe that she changed so much in the writing style because it was her choice so to speak. Not that I know anything about what publishers ask for from authors (lol!)