Amanda's Reviews > Rumour Has It

Rumour Has It by Ali Cronin

Aug 16, 2012

bookshelves: penguin, october-2012-release, ya-lit, contemporary-fiction, for-review, review-on-the-blog, confident-in-my-sexuality, realistic-fiction
Read from October 07 to 09, 2012

A few months ago I read and reviewed book one in the Girl Hearts Boy series, No Such Thing as Forever and I was really keen to read the sequel, Rumour Has It. I thought it would be a direct continuation but instead this story is told from Ashley’s point of view.

Ashley Greene and her mates Donna, Sarah, Cass, Rich, Ollie, and Jack live in Brighton and attend Woodside High. They all enjoy partying, drinking and having fun, none more so than Ashley. She’s confident in her sexuality, enjoys having sex with different guys, and isn't too concerned about not having a boyfriend. Then she meets Dylan, who she’s really keen on, but he doesn't seem to feel the same.

So, in NSTaF, Ashley and Donna sort of blended into the one character, according to Sarah they enjoyed partying and sex but neither of them seemed too out there, imo. In Rumour Has It, we get to know Ashley a lot better and I really, really liked her. She’s got a great attitude about life, sex, friends and doesn't seem to care what people think about her. That is until a rumour starts going round school and she ends up on the receiving end of graffiti and name-calling. She can’t even keep it from her little sister, Frankie, and has to explain it to her.

On the inside, Ash does worry about things. She and her older sister don’t have a good relationship, her mum often takes her sister’s side, she worries about what she will do after they finish high school. I liked seeing this side of her and wanted her to realise how talented and awesome she was.

Frankie was such a fantastic character, I loved the relationship between the two sisters and thought it was great they talked about everything and anything and that Ash could give Frankie advice. I also thought Rich was a pretty good mate to Ash, he and Donna are always there for her.

I enjoyed all the Brit slang and the music references and found this to be a really realistic look at teens. I guess it depends on your personal situation, but this did seem real to me, there are heaps of teens like Ash and her friends, and I really found myself connected to her story.

Like NSTaF, it did have a bit of an older-Georgia Nicolson vibe to it in that they’re boy-mad, they pepper their sentences with French words and they over-analyse text messages.

The story was wrapped up really well and I wish we could get another book from Ash’s point of view but I've read that the next book, Three’s A Crowd, is from Cass’ POV.

Rumour Has It is a great follow up to No Such Thing as Forever; we get a closer look at the friendship dynamics of this group, a better insight into Ash’s world and a lot of fun along the way.

Thank you to the lovely people Penguin Australia for my review copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rumour Has It.

10/07/2012 page 84
32.0% "These books are a little bit like Georgia Nicholson all grown up."
10/07/2012 page 84
32.0% "These books are a bit like Georgia Nicolson, all grown up"
10/08/2012 page 217
84.0% "Ash is such a funny narrator, love her"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo Oooh, I've just picked up the first book of this series because it was 50p on Kindle. :D

Amanda I hope you like it, Jo. The author wrote the Skins book, too

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo Yes, Anna told me to read it because she'd heard about it and it was Skins-y.

Also, I was craving a "kissing" book. :) Going to start reading it properly tomorrow I think.

Amanda Well there is definitely kissing, and more! It's not the best book ever written but I loved reading it because I could hear all their accents in my head and it was fun. I like book 2 more, it's told from Ashley's PoV instead of Sarah's.

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo Oh ok, that doesn't mean anything to me (don't know who Ashley is) but I'll bear that in mind.

Ha, I'm not expecting much but I have a feeling I'll be pleasantly surprised. I think this is just what I need right now. :)

Amanda Good! Let me know :D

Michelle I'm going to try and read these over my holidays, they look like something light and enjoyable :) great review!

Amanda Want my copies?

Michelle I just check my library at home and they have book 1, but I'll say yes to book 2 please :)

Amanda Done!