Rachel's Reviews > Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson

bookshelves: 2012

I hesitated over giving this book five stars. "It's fluff," I told myself. "This is not a Literary Masterpiece. It's a fun novel. It's frivolous. How can I give something so frivolous five stars?" I summed up the plot in my head to see if some Serious, Important aspect of the novel had slipped past my notice. It hadn't. The book was exactly as promised (in some review, somewhere, I'll find it later): a champagne comedy. Sweet, bubbly, light.

It was then that I recalled a similar description had been applied to Pride and Prejudice. A novel about a houseful of daughters, trying to get married. Sparkling, funny, but it isn't exactly Serious Ponderings either.

Then I remembered that Miss Pettigrew had made me laugh until I wheezed on a public train. (Several times.) I essentially read it in two sittings. I couldn't wait to get back to it, to see what happened next. I will definitely be keeping it. It made me extoll the virtues of both book and movie to a friend, so much so that we're having a movie night next week.

When was the last time a book had done that for me? Last year? The year before?

If Pride and Prejudice can be a five star novel, so can this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day.

Started Reading
August 16, 2012 – Shelved
August 16, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012
August 16, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Exactly!! And to those who have sooo many issues with it being racist, sexist, and thoroughly non-PC, I say, "get over yourself." If they can't read a book for enjoyment, they can go read something "worthy" and depressing.