G's Reviews > The Club Dumas

The Club Dumas by Arturo Pérez-Reverte

Dec 04, 2008

it was ok
Read in May, 2001

The Club Dumas is an interesting mystery revolving around Lucas Corso's attempt to authenticate a couple of manuscripts. One is a chapter of "The Three Musketeers" apparently handwritten by Alexandre Dumas. The other is a copy, perhaps "the" copy of "The Book of the Nine Doors to the Kingdom of Darkness," rumored to be co-authored by none other than, um...Satan.
Perez-Reverte does a commendable job in at least one aspect; the character of Corso is one of the best I've come across. Being a rare book finder and authenticator is no job for a saint. He bends rules when necessary, but avoids dirtying his hands with some of the more unsavory aspects of job. In fact he's rather cowardly, only willing to attack those weaker or unsuspecting. Nonetheless I found myself pulling for him right away, even if it was just to see how far he might get before the inevitable smackdown. Corso drives the book and makes it a joy to read.

The plot however starts to lag toward the end. Some have accused the Dumas plot line of being anti-climatic; but maybe that's the point the author was trying to make. However, The Nine Doors plot fell apart. I was expecting a lot more from that particular thread and it just seemed to stop without any resolution.

Read it and enjoy Corso's exploits, but don't bank on a lot of bang at the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Club Dumas.