Andrea's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Aug 01, 2007

bookshelves: own, fantasy, 2009, 2008, children, magic-school, 2013
Read 9 times

I had been planning on rereading the Harry Potter series this year after the 6th movie came out, and GalleySmith issued a Harry Potter Reading Challenge, so I decided to read the series and comment as part of it for the chance to win fun Harry Potter-themed prizes (in addition to feeding my HP fanlove).

On what is probably my 7th reading, 7-19-09:

I initially read the first 5 books in the Harry Potter series six years ago and fell into its universe. I immersed myself in HP internet communities and spent the next several years imagining in that world and trying to solve the mysteries that were left leading up to the final books. I was hoping to have some sort of useful commentary (since comment I must as part of the challenge), but I'm afraid I've internalized the world far too much to have any kind of perspective. Starting the series again was like spending time with an old friend, who I have discovered, still comforts and entertains me.

Some things I did notice: I was able to slow down and enjoy Harry, Hagrid, the school kids, and the innocent beginnings in a way I apparently didn't even take time to do when rereading the entire series after the release of book 7. I tore through the books on first reading and wondered how the story would end for the next several years. Not being a child myself when I began, I disregarded the first books as children's books and spent my time dwelling on Ministry of Magic intrigue, the politics of blood status and half breeds, family ties, and first loves. Reading the comparatively simple first story about friendship and bravery was so much fun this time! I wasn't skimming the text obligatorily searching for clues before I got to the meat of the series. It was wonderful. Now I'm left trying to decide how long I should wait before moving on the the second book, as I have a whole year to finish the series for the challenge.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Started Reading
July 1, 2003 – Finished Reading
August 1, 2007 – Shelved
August 1, 2007 – Shelved as: own
August 6, 2008 – Shelved as: fantasy
September 16, 2009 –
page 157
49.06% "I had planned on rereading HP soon, but not yet. But I was feeling pretty terrible Sunday night and starting this made me feel much better."
September 20, 2009 – Shelved as: 2009
November 2, 2009 – Shelved as: 2008
February 1, 2011 – Shelved as: children
October 11, 2011 – Shelved as: magic-school
August 8, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013
July 15, 2016 – Started Reading (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
August 26, 2016 – Finished Reading (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
September 2, 2016 – Shelved (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
September 2, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016 (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
September 2, 2016 – Shelved as: magi... (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
September 2, 2016 – Shelved as: en-f... (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
September 2, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
September 2, 2016 – Shelved as: chil... (Mass Market Paperback Edition)