Shelleyrae at Book'd Out's Reviews > Corrupted Classics

Corrupted Classics by Corrupted Classics Team

Aug 15, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: arc-are, aussie-author, provided-by-publisher

This is not my usual reading fare, a short story collection featuring zombies which have corrupted much loved classics such as Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan and Robin Hood. What intrigued me about this publication is how it came it to be.

"In early 2012 HarperCollinsPublishers Publishing Director, Shona Martyn, and Head of Digital, Mark Higginson, gathered together a small but intrepid group of staff from various departments and issued a challenge: to go where no traditional, book-loving trade publisher had gone before — into the land of the digital unknown.
Staff were separated into teams, given a small budget and asked to produce an original digital publication or product to release into the market. Each team was asked to create, research, cost and produce their product. The winning team would be the one that generated the most revenue for the business.
After months of surreptitious meetings, brainstorms, setbacks and small victories — the Corrupted Classics team is the first of these Project Flash Pub groups to release a product into the market.
Shona Martyn said: ‘In the world of digital, we need our publishers, editors and other creative team members to think about creating book products in a totally original way. Rather than attending seminars, reading articles about the future of digital or simply transforming existing books into e-books, we thought it would be fun to get staff to become the authors and the creators themselves so they could truly explore the medium — and test the results by actually putting them on sale. I am thrilled by the outcome. This has been empowering, a learning experience, has strengthened inter-departmental bonding and, hey, now we are selling the first product!’"*

Australian publishers have been slow to support electronic publishing so I am impressed that HarperCollins Australia shows such initiative to embrace a digital future.

Each story in this ebook is only a few pages long and uses the beloved characters from six classic stories in a scene rife with flesh eating zombies. In 'Alice in Zombieland', the doormouse is chained to the table to prevent him from eating the dinner guests, Alice calls herself Ali, having left her childhood innocence behind and has, lets say, an interesting relationship with the Mad Hatter. Robin Hood and his band of Undead Men, take from the living to give to the dead, ambushing travelers for their flesh. In Capulet's Garden of Horror, Romeo climbs Juliet's balcony to feast upon her not with his eyes but with his teeth.
If you are a zombie fan you are sure to enjoy the bloody horror, twisted humour and almost sacrilegious corruption of childhood classics.

The good news? There are still 3 teams to publish their own projects.

*Quoted from the promotional materials

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Corrupted Classics.