Katherine Coble's Reviews > Dead Space

Dead Space by Kali Wallace

This is the kind of book I adore. It’s a smart book, written intelligently, where you are told everything. But not right away. You are told what you need to know in the most elegant way possible, in the way that leads you compellingly through the text to find out more. You want to know more because you like this world and the people in it.

One blurb or review I read for this book ahead of time called it claustrophobic. This is the least claustrophobic book I’ve read in ages. Yes, much of the contemporaneous action takes place on a tightly-packed asteroid station with small spaces. But there is so much space from grand ideas, of universal history, personal history that the book feels like the broadest journey when it’s not the harrowing tightness of the present horror.

The only reason I deduct a half a star is that this suffers from what so many of these “desperate chase” thrillers do. The complete lack of a sense of space or direction or how close the threat is or how far escape is...that will always dull the suspense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Space.

April 5, 2021 – Started Reading