Bastard Travel's Reviews > Dispelling Wetiko: Breaking the Curse of Evil

Dispelling Wetiko by Paul  Levy

did not like it

Incomprehensible and charmless, Dispelling Wetiko attempts to answer questions nobody asked with more meandering, answerless questions that don't really even pertain to the initial question. Through the fog of schizoid babble and overuse of the meaningless signifier "nonlocal", Paul Levy attempts to argue... something. He borrows heavily from Lovecraft in that, "Wetiko cannot be put into words (except the word Wetiko), Wetiko is so powerful and ultra spooky and pervasive that if you talk about it, it controls you, but if you don't talk about it, it also controls you!"

Wetiko, as near as I could decipher, is being selfish and willfully noncreative. It's etymologically linked to the indigenous concept of the Wendigo, who ate people; Wetiko as a "psychic disease" eats humanity by robbing us of what it means to be human, locking us in a non-generative box of self-absorbed consumption, something about "ego is a delusion" because Levy's into Buddhism, blah blah, you get it. Oh, look, I used words to describe the indescribable.

He's a miserable writer and it's made worse by his flagrant self-obsession, which he props up on meaningless New Age jargon like an unconvincing scarecrow, periodically name-dropping Jung and Rollo May in an effort to salvage credibility.

The worst part is, it's a book pretending to be about psychology, but no psychologist was even peripherally involved in its production. In the intro to the book, Paul Levy explains how the manifestation of Wetiko crept into his dreams, manifesting its vampiric and oogidy-boogidy nature by his recurrent dreamland dalliances with Dracula.

Multiple dreams about Dracula. One where they're sitting in his parlor just vibing out, chatting, but Dracula keeps staring at him, eyes beginning to glow with a bestial hunger. In the second one, he and Dracula are laying in bed together, and Levy realizes "Wetiko" is aiming to consume him vampirically, so he jams something in Dracula's mouth while chanting a Buddhist mantra that symbolized a very specific guru whom Levy idolizes.

Now, if at any point in the editing process, Levy had checked with a psychologist, therapist, psychoanalyst, or even a first-year psych student, they would have said:

"Paul, these Dracula dreams sound horny. The 'charismatic, vampiric' force manifesting in the form of Dracula, staring at you in a way that makes you feel desired and uncomfortable, literally sharing a bed with you... could that be your unconscious grappling with something latent? Maybe that's why you chose to dissipate Dracula's dark and alluring power with the sigil of your Buddhist father figure, who provides a channel by which to communicate that 'compassion' and 'lovingkindness' for other fellas? Is that maybe why you felt you had to mention waking up next to your girlfriend in the very next sentence?"

Not my pig, not my farm, not my client. Maybe if he were my client, I would have finished this book. As it stands, there's no way I'm sitting through 12 hours of this. If that means I stay wracked with Wetiko, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dispelling Wetiko.

April 5, 2021 – Started Reading