Samie Kauchis's Reviews > Born to Darkness

Born to Darkness by Suzanne Brockmann

Aug 15, 2012

bookshelves: paranormal-romance

One of the things I think I love about Suzanne Brockmann is the fact that she's not at all afraid to go There. To That place. The place that a lot of authors are afraid to go. You know the place I'm talking about, right? It's the place that some authors hint about visiting, but never admit to stepping foot inside of.

It is the land of controversial, and taboo subjects... Rape, Torture, Gruesome acts of violence and of course today's hot button, same sex relationships. Some authors sugar coat this stuff, or hint that such things happen in their books but they don't go into detail—Brockmann does. And it's just the right amount of detail (for me anyway) to make her books seem real and really engage me in her stories.

This book was not at all what I expected it would be—it was better. I admit I was curious to see if Brockmann could pull of a Paranormal Romance as brilliantly as she pulls of Romantic Suspense, and she did it. It was raw, gritty, and believable. The characters were easy to fall in love with, and the twists were executed very well. Granted I will admit it took me about half of the book to get to the, "OMG I can't put it down!" stage of reading... But it's the first book of a series and that is to be expected—and once I did get there, well, lets just say, I finished this book at 5:15am. :)

Oh and that last twist at the end? Yeah, I'll definitely be waiting for the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Darkness.

August 15, 2012 – Started Reading