Katie's Reviews > Memoirs of a Geisha

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

bookshelves: historical-fiction

This book is so beautiful. The voice of Sayuri and the descriptions of her life are both heartbreaking and magical. It did take an idiotically long time to finish this book but I am so glad I read it (it was about time since it has been on my shelf for a very long time).

My only problems with it were that some of the parts were long winded and became a little irrelevant. Also I began to disagree with Sayuri's decisions towards the last third of the book. It was hard to understand her motives and why she believed those things to be the only possible actions. Some of them were even a little cruel to other characters at time. This just made me sympathise and contemplate being in Sayuri's shoes though, which was a good thing as it means the book will stay with me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of a Geisha.

Quotes Katie Liked

Arthur Golden
“Grief is a most peculiar thing; we’re so helpless in the face of it. It’s like a window that will simply open of its own accord. The room grows cold, and we can do nothing but shiver. But it opens a little less each time, and a little less; and one day we wonder what has become of it.”
Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha

April 7, 2014 –
page 244
April 9, 2014 –
page 265
53.75% "Tomorrow is finally my last day of school. Coursework will be handed in and I will have two weeks to read/ binge watch Teen Wolf series 3. Bring on tomorrow."
April 9, 2014 –