Jeffrey's Reviews > The Rise of the Creative Class: And How It's Transforming Work, Leisure, Community and Everyday Life

The Rise of the Creative Class by Richard Florida

M 50x66
Dec 03, 2008

Read in January, 2009

Pretty fascinating. I tried reading this book about a year ago, but it never stuck. This time I was pretty into it. I'd say that working at a small internet startup company helps a lot. There are certain things in the book that are right on point. Richard Florida described a lot of the things I've been experiencing at work to the fuckin letter. It doesn't change any of the miscommunication I experience at work, but at least the book defines it. It's nice to know that these trends are nationwide, possibly global.

I really enjoyed the chapters about lifestyle and social capital. There's a great chapter called "The Experiential Life" about how people are spending less money on status symbols and more money on having great life experiences. There's a lot about how everyone is more active in their free time nowadays, since they work at a computer instead of in a factory or construction site. This is why you see middle-aged men jogging down the street, releasing that built up energy. You would never have seen a man running on the street 50 years ago.

There's a lot of statistics in this book, it can be really dry sometimes. I feel like Richard Florida is constantly repeating certain things, but that's ok because my mind kind of wanders sometimes and I forget or miss things entirely. I'm really glad I stuck to it and got all the way through the book. I'm trying to finish books that I start and this website is encouraging me. After reading this book, I feel like I can tackle anything on my list. In fact, I think most other books will be a breeze in comparison.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise of the Creative Class.