Leah's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

bookshelves: into-the-forest-2016
Read 2 times. Last read December 29, 2017 to December 31, 2017.

The circus arrives without warning.

One of THE best opening lines, ever. It excited me, begged me to read more, to keep turning the pages.

Wonderful because it filled me with wonder; enchanting because I was completely mesmerized; magical because yes, it has magic, but also because I was spellbound by that magic, I could see that magic, close my eyes and touch it. All my senses were fully engaged. It's a rare book that uses smells and sounds with such clarity and power.

For almost two days I've been attempting to write a review of The Night Circus, one that will capture the intensity with which its story affected me; alas, I cannot find the right words... I find that the case with many, if not all, of the books I know will become a lifelong favorite. The last time I remember feeling this strongly - in a happy, content way - about a book in a similar genre was Big Fish.

To put it simply: I loved The Night Circus and I never wanted it to end, but the ending was perfect!

5 stars

(and I cannot wait to read this again; hopefully, I can make myself wait at least a year lol)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

Quotes Leah Liked

Erin Morgenstern
“The circus arrives without warning.”

Erin Morgenstern
“I find I think of myself not as a writer so much as someone who provides a gateway, a tangential route for readers to reach the circus. To visit the circus again, if only in their minds, when they are unable to attend it physically. I relay it through printed words on crumpled newsprint, words that they can read again and again, returning to the circus whenever they wish, regardless of time of day or physical location. Transporting them at will.
When put that way, it sounds rather like magic, doesn't it?”

Erin Morgenstern
“And there are never really endings, happy or otherwise. Things keep going on, they overlap and blur, your story is part of your sister's story is part of many other stories, and there is no telling where any of them may lead.”

Erin Morgenstern
“Good and evil are a great deal more complex than a princess and a dragon, or a wolf and a scarlet-clad little girl. And is not the dragon the hero of his own story? Is not the wolf simply acting as a wolf should act?”

August 15, 2012 – Shelved