P.'s Reviews > Normal People

Normal People by Sally Rooney

did not like it
bookshelves: audiobook, booksread2021, chicklit, unfinished

I try to like books about teenagers and their problems, but I can't do it. The prose was very sparse, to the point of it being 'he said, she said'. Mostly dialogue driven. I found myself not really connecting with Marianne or Connell and their relationship is mostly sex driven with very little in the way of quality moments. In a large way I just didn't care about either of them. I finally switched off during chapter 15 when Marianne started talking about how she was into men hitting her during sex and that for me was an all time low. I had no desire to find out if this is explained later on.

People who like plain, straighforward narratives with no brainpower involved from the reader will love this. I thought I'd try Rooney as I'd seen her novel advertised but it seems like popular fiction is simply not my taste. Still, it is interesting to know what people rate as good fiction these days and I know many of my friends might really appreciate it. Just brace yourself for all the disappointment and frustration of the strange 'love' these two have for one another.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Normal People.

March 23, 2021 – Started Reading