Laura's Reviews > Level 2

Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans

Aug 14, 2012

bookshelves: read-in-2012

I've always been a big fan of Lenore's, always reading her book reviewing blog, Presenting Lenore. In a weird way, I've felt like I've been a part of this book's journey, because I read about it through her eyes on her blog.
I knew that I had to read it when it finally came out. Lucky for me, it was part of an ARC tour, so I got to read it early. And it didn't disappoint.

Felicia is in a weird limbo. Or, to be more precise, Level 2. Level 1 is Earth, Level 2 is somewhat of a purgatory, and who knows what's beyond. She's stuck, day in, day out, reliving her memories from her life. Until one day, everything changes. Everything starts to go screwy. And the Level 2 that she once knew and tolerated becomes so much more.

Felicia is an unusual heroine. The book plays up her "checkered" past and her dealings with family and friends through memories, flashforwards and flashbacks. You never truly know what's really going on with her until the very end. I couldn't really guess what was happening, because honestly, I wasn't sure. And I liked it.

I could never quite get a total read on some of the other characters, either. Julian, is he good or bad? What other sides to Neil are there? And who are the people controlling Level 2?

Lenore has created such a world that everything is new and exciting and different. The whole idea that after we leave this plane, we're subjected to another one where we relive our lives through video screens is totally new to me. I was surprised at the religious tones throughout the book, as it was not something that I was expecting at all. That being said, I enjoyed it, and appreciated her new mythology that added to time-tested beliefs.

I'll be interested to see how The Memory Chronicles progresses. It's such an interesting plot and overall world that I'm really looking forward to going on a new journey.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Level 2.

August 14, 2012 – Shelved