Ken Angle's Reviews > The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion

The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt

Aug 14, 2012

bookshelves: philosophy

I once asked a friend after completing his first year in Law School. What is the big truth or concept that you learned from your first two semesters that you did not know before. What great truth have you gleaned from the study of law. He said,"Just like those from our orientation and views the other side is composed of intelligent, honest, moral and earnest people who have logical, valid well thought out opinions and propositions."

I liked this book. It answered some moral questions I had contrived for sometime. I would recommend this book to my friends selectively. The reader of this book must be open minded. Willing to examine even the scaralized. Haidt bases concepts and statements on scientific studies and citations from renowned historical thinkers. Which I found fastinating. Some of his arguments and observations might to the religous or fundamental mind might be distrubing. He points out the functions and dysfunctions of religion, politics and government.

And in the end argues for a simple and loftier solution to the polarized issues and deadlock that either or all of the selfrightious parties involved civil debate seldom employ.

Right is NOT an absolute. Cooperation and consenses are values in all functional debates and solutions. The world is not black and white; but rather shades of gray. KGA

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Righteous Mind.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello . Is there a relationship between loyalty and outsider?