Heather's Reviews > The Goose Girl

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

Dec 03, 2008

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy

This story is a re-telling of the Grimm's fairy tale "The Goose Girl". I wasn't familiar with the tale beforehand and checked on Wikipedia for a quick summary so I knew what to expect.

I loved the way Shannon Hale wrote this story! It was very entertaining, suspenseful, and hard to put down. Ani was such a neat character and I found myself rooting for her even though I knew how the story would end. I also really liked her Forest friends that she made while working as a goose girl for the king. I enjoyed all their different personalities and how they interacted with Ani and the role they played in the story.

I will definitely be checking out Hale's other books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goose Girl.

December 3, 2008 – Shelved
May 9, 2009 –
page 124
32.38% "I'm LOVING this book!"
May 10, 2009 –
page 233
Started Reading
May 12, 2009 – Finished Reading
May 13, 2009 – Shelved as: young-adult
November 5, 2013 – Shelved as: fantasy

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I'm glad you liked this one Heather. I didn't know anything about the original story before I read it, and I was surprised by everything. I thought Ani was a great role model for girls, she's a great character and as a mom of a teen girl, that's my perspective on everything I read!!

Heather I can't wait to read the rest of the books in the series! Did you think they were as good as Goose Girl?

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I think Goose Girl was the best, but the other books are unique stories and each has a different flavor. I haven't yet read the newest one, I need to get it!