Patrícia's Reviews > Dark Prince

Dec 03, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: did-not-finish

Simply awful.

I have nothing against paranormal romances. I've read quite a few, although I generally prefer urban fantasy/mystery books with some romance.

I had heard such good things about Christine Feehan I thought I'd give her books a try. Unfortunately, I couldn't make myself finish this, and I did try. Really. I almost got through it, but ultimately gave up.

The story isn't particularly original... unless you consider the fact that Feehan probably came up with this plotline in the first place. But nowadays, dark, possessive and suffering vampires who can be saved by mortal women are fairly common.

What I truly disliked were the characters. Supposedly, the heroine was an independent, strong-minded woman; the hero was a tortured vampire with a healthy dose of possessiveness towards his "woman".
In reality the vampire guy was way too possessive, not to mention a machist of the highest order; which was slightly distasteful, but it would still be acceptable if the heroine actually stood up to him... and changed him a bit. But she didn't. She was compliant and submissive and I just... couldn't stomach it.

Of course it's a matter of taste, but I didn't find the forceful manner of the guy and the wimpiness of the girl very romantic. Ugh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Prince.

Started Reading
January 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
December 3, 2008 – Shelved
June 28, 2013 – Shelved as: did-not-finish

Hanna I totally agree. It's so bad, and I wanted to like it.

Patrícia Me too! I'd heard wonders about this author. :(