Amy's Reviews > The Dog of the South

Dec 03, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: bookcrossing
Read in January, 2006

At about third of the way through this book I had no problem at all seeing why Norma left Ray. The big question in my mind was why did she ever marry him? But kept reading, because as annoying as Ray is, the author Charles Portis is great.

This tale is quite different from True Grit, though it does involve oddball characters thrown together on a journey. Only here, the characters, while well drawn, were not particularly likable, or at least not by me. You wouldn't get John Wayne to play a role in this, though it is an equally strange group that gathers to form a posse of sorts. And the situation south of the border is decidedly odd, hurricanes of nature and human spirit. At one point while reading this, I almost put it down because I was so un-enamoured by the central character, but stuck with it instead. Of interest is the observation that I never got to like him any better in the second half of the book. What a pill! This shall go in the pile for the convention goodie bags.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dog of the South.