M.B.'s Reviews > A Walk in the Park

A Walk in the Park by Jill Mansell

Aug 14, 2012

A few years ago (not saying exactly how many, I don't want to admit I'm old) I read pretty much every book Jill Mansell released. When I say read, I devoured them in matter of hours then re read them a few weeks later because I was jealous of the journey these women went on to find the loves of their lives. Why could that never happen to me?

Then I stopped reading Chick Lit because there were too many books that started to read the same. I understand it's hard to find a story that is completely different within the genre, but I tarred the entire genre with the same brush and moved on.

Recently I have rediscovered my love of the genre. It doesn't matter that a lot of the stories are similar in basic content, it's the details and the journey that is the important thing. Also, the writing.... this is of the utmost importance. And Jill Mansell is a master at all three of these.

I don't like to give spoilers in my reviews, so I won't. But, I did love the air of celebrity throughout this book. Not only Flynn (whenever I read his name, I pictured Flynn Rider from Tangled - Sorry Jill- the pitfalls of having a 7 yr old daughter I guess) with his skiing, but the enigmatic and vampiric EnjaySeven. Without being corny, this aspect lifted the book slightly, and also provided the majority of chuckles (thanks harry).

Even though I personally tend to find many books in this genre predictable, I admit to being pleasantly surprised with a few of the twists. Also, the way some of the characters left us hanging, I would love to see a possible sequel just to tie up a few loose ends.

Thanks to a very good friend (You know who you are Zephy)posting me a copy of this book, I would never have rekindled my love affair with Jill Mansell's books, and on that note, I'm off to dig out the ones I own just so I know which to buy to bulk up my collection!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Walk in the Park.

August 14, 2012 – Started Reading
August 14, 2012 – Shelved
August 14, 2012 –
page 174
41.13% "Flying through this book!!"
August 14, 2012 –
page 318
75.18% "Nice easy read so far"
August 14, 2012 – Finished Reading