Eric Wisdahl's Reviews > Quicksilver

Dec 02, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, sci-fi
Read in May, 2009

This took FOREVER. It was a good story, but the first third of the novel just didn't grab my attention as much as it probably should have. The second section, where Half-Cocked Jack was the main character was a breeze to read and I got through it quickly, but then the third section took me awhile as well... Probably because I haven't had as much time as I would like to read. Most of my reading time recently has been via Audio Book while on road trips...

As for the book itself, Stephenson has done a decent job opening the Baroque Cycle. The various means of his work, through plays, poems, prose, family trees, letters, cyphers, etc convey the struggles through the evolution of the scientific community as well as the political struggles and revolutions throughout. The dialogue is interesting, if a bit dry depending on which of the storylines you are reading. All in all this was a decent book. I will finish the series, but I am not nearly as interested and excited in Stephenson's writing now as I was after Cryptonomicon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quicksilver.

01/23/2009 page 300
32.36% "So far pretty good. Not quite as gripping as the cryptonomicon, but not too bad."
03/20/2009 page 660
71.2% "Just finished up with the vagabond king section. I would have to say that it was much better than the first part. Onwards!"