Sheyla ✎'s Reviews > The One

The One by John Marrs

bookshelves: 2021, audible, audiobook, serial-killer, suspense

The One is a futuristic novel with enough interesting characters to keep you turning the pages, or in my case listening to every chapter.

A discovery has been made. A gene has been found that can tell you who is your soulmate. When you meet the One, you know they are it for you. With Match Your DNA, now anyone can find that special someone who will make your life the happiest.

Yet, not everyone is happy. Match Your DNA has broken marriages and relationships left and right. Then, of course, there are so many questions.

What if your match has decided not to run the test?

What if the person you matched is not morally bound like you are?

What if the test ruins your life?

The One will follow five characters' "love stories" after finding their match.

How could anything go wrong?

John Mars does a wonderful job at making us think about the implications of something like this happening in our time. There is a scene in the book where two characters are debating the pros and cons of Match Your DNA. I thought it brought solid points to the table for both sides.

If you asked me to pick a favorite "match" couple, I will have to go with Nick's match undoubtedly.

I read the next two books in this world and I'm glad I went back to listen to this one. I was happy to follow the characters through each of their personal ordeals and knowing what the future held was a plus.

Cliffhanger: No

4/5 Fangs

MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One.

March 25, 2021 – Started Reading
April 5, 2021 – Shelved as: audible
April 5, 2021 – Shelved as: audiobook
April 5, 2021 – Shelved as: serial-killer
April 5, 2021 – Shelved as: suspense

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

Michael David Glad you enjoyed it, Sheyla! Great review!

Jayme They are always so thought provoking, aren’t they?! Wonderful review!

message 3: by Farrah (new) - added it

Farrah Love your review Sheyla!

preoccupiedbybooks Great review Sheyla! I'm glad the audio was good!

Holly  B I enjoyed this one too! Fab review!!

message 6: by Tina (new)

Tina Excellent review Sheyla! This is one I'd definitely like to read at some point.

Sheyla ✎ Michael wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it, Sheyla! Great review!"

Thank you, Michael.

Sheyla ✎ Jayme wrote: "They are always so thought provoking, aren’t they?! Wonderful review!"

They are. I wonder where he gets his ideas.

Sheyla ✎ Farrah wrote: "Love your review Sheyla!"

Thank you, Farrah!

Sheyla ✎ preoccupiedbybooks wrote: "Great review Sheyla! I'm glad the audio was good!"

It was very well performed.

Sheyla ✎ Holly wrote: "I enjoyed this one too! Fab review!!"

Thank you, Holly.

Sheyla ✎ Tina wrote: "Excellent review Sheyla! This is one I'd definitely like to read at some point."

Thank you, Tina.

message 13: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Fantastic review, Sheyla! 💜 I'm glad to hear this one worked out for you.

Tamar...light at the end of the tunnel? Fantastic review Sheyla. I loved this book, my first by this author.

Brandice Great review Sheyla, I thought this one was really interesting!

Sheyla ✎ Michelle wrote: "Fantastic review, Sheyla! 💜 I'm glad to hear this one worked out for you."

Thank you, Michelle!

Sheyla ✎ Tamar...light at the end of the tunnel? wrote: "Fantastic review Sheyla. I loved this book, my first by this author."

That's great, Tamar.

message 18: by Sheyla ✎ (last edited Apr 09, 2021 08:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheyla ✎ Brandice wrote: "Great review Sheyla, I thought this one was really interesting!"

It was Brandice. My favorite in this world.

message 19: by Deanna (new)

Deanna I'm excited to check out the Netflix series and read the book.

Great review <3

Sheyla ✎ Deanna wrote: "I'm excited to check out the Netflix series and read the book.

Great review <3"

From what I hear, the book is by far far better.

message 21: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina Great review, Sheyla! I need to read this one!

Melissa ~ Bantering Books (On Reviewing Hiatus) Fab review, Sheyla! I'm not loving "The One" quite as much as you did, though. I should be finishing it tomorrow, and I'm trying to not form a final opinion of it until I read the very last page. :)

Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill Fantastic review Sheyla! So glad you loved it too. What a great book this was.

message 24: by Beata (new)

Beata Grand review, Sheyla! :))

Sheyla ✎ Christina wrote: "Great review, Sheyla! I need to read this one!"

Thank you, Christina.

Sheyla ✎ Melissa wrote: "Fab review, Sheyla! I'm not loving "The One" quite as much as you did, though. I should be finishing it tomorrow, and I'm trying to not form a final opinion of it until I read the very last page. :)"

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it but I see your points.

Sheyla ✎ Beata wrote: "Grand review, Sheyla! :))"

Thank you, Beata.

Sheyla ✎ Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill wrote: "Fantastic review Sheyla! So glad you loved it too. What a great book this was."

Thank you, Kim. It was. Great buddy-read.

message 29: by Yun (new)

Yun Glad you enjoyed, Sheyla! Great review! :)

message 30: by Trevor (new)

Trevor Wiltzen Interesting! Great review