Nancy's Reviews > A Girl Like You

A Girl Like You by Maria Geraci

Aug 13, 2012

liked it

3.5

A Girl Like You is a quick, fun read with the most important elements for a girl like me; excellent character development and humor. You know those little moments you catalog in your brain but don't articulate the moment? Geraci does it and it's fun to see.

Emma is a small town girl who happens to carry a few pounds more than her skinny friends. It's never really bothered her much until she overhears someone with few social graces mention that she's the "ugly friend." The book tells a story that meanders quite a bit but my interest didn't meander. I just kept reading and enjoying it. I finally understood how it tied together but I won't tell you that part. I will say that what Geraci accomplishes is writing a believable story with flawed, wonderful and real characters that often react to previous experiences and overheard conversations rather than enjoying the moment.

I loved every character. Especially the most flawed of them. My favorite scene is where Emma leaves one character at the end of a dock, with his hands pushed into his pockets, looking thoughtfully out to the distance like a Nicholas Sparks novel. Cracked. Me. Up.

Fun read. Perfect summer escape.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Girl Like You.