Sandy Williams's Reviews > Almost a Scandal

Almost a Scandal by Elizabeth Essex

Aug 13, 2012

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in August, 2012

Gawd, I loved this book. LOVED it! It was a super bad idea to start it over the weekend, though, because I had a hundred things I SHOULD have been doing, but I absolutely couldn't put this down. I have to give a big shout out to my husband and thank him for watching the twins so much this weekend, and for letting me be a bum and read pretty much the whole time.

Anyway, I've been looking for a historical romance that has a touch of added danger to it, and this one completely fit that description. It takes a rather typical plot - girl poses as boy to get what she wants - but the author's take on it is one of the best I've read. It only takes a day for Col, an old friend of Sally's and the first lietenant on HMS Audacious, to figure out that Sally isn't her brother. He keeps her secret, though, because he totally has a crush on her, because he wants her to do the right thing and tell the captain herself, and because she's a very capable seawoman. She's grown up in a family of naval officers and has the sea in her blood. And let me tell you, she really does know her stuff. There was a lot of nautical language in the book. I had no freaking clue what Sally was talking about, but it wasn't too much or too confusing to pull me out of the story; it just sucked me in even more. Major credit goes to the author whom, I believe, has a masters in nautical excavation or something close to that (she earned her masters from Texas A&M, so yay fellow Aggie!). You could tell she knew her stuff, but she presented it in way that the average reader can understand.

Also, I just loved Col and Sally together. They were really a great couple, and Sally was strong willed, relatable, not easily frightened, and just all around awesome.

I highly, highly recommend this book! And I'm pretty much dying to read the next one. But I'm afraid to! I have my own book to write and other things that need doing. I can't afford to get sucked completely into a book again!

P.S. And a big THANK YOU to author, Sasha Summers, for recommending Elizabeth Essex!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Almost a Scandal.