Kay Iscah's Reviews > One False Note

One False Note by Gordon Korman

Aug 13, 2012

liked it

I was intrigued by the premise and interactive element of this series, but I'm not sure I'll carry on. In a few ways I liked this book better than the first. Less mindless violence, no Holts...Jonah Wizard is actually kind of charming in his way, the Kabras were dialed down a few noches.

The four divisions of the family are just grating on me, particularly since you have the "sneaky" Slytherin house and now the "artistic" house...seriously? Bleh.

My biggest beef is that our "heroes" accomplish nearly everything by stealing something or following another team. Even stuff that would be better accomplished in a completely different way. I like mysteries and clues, but I like smart heroes better.

At the same time, as much as this series disappoints, I do kind of want to know what happens next. It's an 11 book series, maybe the twists and character developement are further along? Maybe?

I saw one review that said this series had been hyped to them as the next "Harry Potter" and were naturally disappointed. This series is far more along the lines of "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" though not quite as charming.

What do you think? Anyone read these? Do they get better? Or will I keep being disappointed?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One False Note.